The earliest and only roads in the county up to 1844 were the Green Bay Road running north and south through the county and the DeKorra Road running east and west. They were military roads surveyed and cleared by the government.
Later several private road companies were given permission to establish and build private roads and collect toll from those using them. Among such roads were the Cedarburg Plank Road, the Fond du Lac Road, the Ulao Road, and the Saukville-Grafton Road.
Because highway transportation was demanding then as now, a thorough system of highways was developed through the years by the help of local and federal funds. Ozaukee County today has one of the best systems of County Trunk highways in the state. No person lives more than 2 miles from a hard surfaced asphalt road.