Name Change

There are two types of name change cases - adult and minor. You have the option to file either type as confidential or nonconfidential. Please review the Adult vs Minor Name Change Comparison chart for additional information.  

Once you have determined which type you will file, choose one of the guidelines below to assist with filing.

Adult Guideline

Minor Guideline

Publication Info

Ozaukee Press

125 E. Main St., Port Washington, WI 53074

Phone: 262-284-3494

Fax: 262-284-0067

Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

News Graphic

W61 N306 Washington Ave., Suite L1, Cedarburg, WI 53012

Phone: 262-305-5000


Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Born Out of State

If you were not born in the State of Wisconsin, it is your responsibility to contact the office of Vital Statistics in the state of your birth to find out what is required to amend your vital records there. If your name change is granted, your new name is effective immediately.


Return to the Clerk of Courts office immediately after the court hearing. A clerk will collect the additional, necessary fees and costs from you. No cash can be accepted for the Bureau of Vital Statistics fees, payment must be by check or money order.

Additional fees may include the following:

  • Additional filing fees may be required if other vital records, such as marriage certificate, needs to be amended.
  • Fee of $10.00 for filing the Bureau of Vital Statistics form, if this applies to you. You may also obtain a certified copy of your new birth certificate for a cost of $20.00, for a total of $30.00. Additional copies of the same record ordered at the same time are $3.00 each. Check should be made payable to State of Wisconsin Vital Records.
  • The clerk will certify all needed documents for a cost of $5.00 per document, plus $1.25 per page. Check should be made payable to Clerk of Courts.