It is the responsibility of the Sheriff's Office to serve or execute according to law, all processes, writs, precepts, and orders issued or make by lawful authority according to Wisconsin State Statute 59.27.
Papers for service will be accepted at the Sheriff's Office main lobby window: Weekdays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The Sheriff can only service papers on individuals or entities located within Ozaukee County.
Fees for the service of civil process are set by State Statute unless otherwise established by the County Board.
- General Service: $35.00 per attempted service. A deposit of $35.00 shall be paid at the time the papers are accepted for service. Any additional attempts (up to 3) will be billed after service is returned.
- If two or more individuals need to be served at the same address, the fee is $17.50 per additional individual(s).
- Indigent person must have a current waiver of fees from the court of jurisdiction.
- Temporary Restraining Orders (TRO) & Injunctions may be exempt, depending on the basis of the order.
- Sheriff's Sales fees: $75.00 for posting and $75.00 at the time of sale
- Evictions: small abode $1500 deposit and large abode $2500
- Officer Stand by fees: $45.00 per hour
- Eviction: The paper must be served not less than five (5) days prior to the court date.
- Execution of a Notice of Mortgage Foreclosure: Sale shall be advertised posting at least three (3) weeks prior to the date of sale. On a notice of sale of property - Notice of sale shall be posted at least twenty (20) days before the date of sale.
- Garnishment: Notice of such service or a copy of the garnishee summons and complaint, together with the complaint in the principle action, shall be served on the principal defendant, no later than ten (10) business days after service on the garnishee defendant.
- Large Claims Action: The paper must be served within ninety (90) days of filing and must be over $5000.00.
- Replevin: As a small claims action the paper must be served eight (8) business days before the court date. The return date for the summons served must be no less than eight (8) business days from the issue date and no more than thirty (30) days from the issue date. As a large claims action the paper must be served within ninety (90) days of filing.
- Restraining Orders: Unless otherwise specified, they can be served right up to the time of hearing. Usually served asap.
- Small Claims Action: A small claims action must be served at least eight (8) business days before the date the party must appear. The date of appearance shall be no less than eight (8) business days from the issue date and no more than thirty (30) days from the issue date.
- Writ of Restitution: No writ shall be executed if received by the Sheriff more than thirty (30) days after it is issued by the court.
Submitting Process via Mail
Submit a packet of the following items:
- Three (3) complete copies of all the process being served. One copy must be an authenticated copy.
- A $35.00 payment made payable to: Ozaukee County Sheriff’s Office.
- A completed Civil Process Request Form or Civil Process Request Interactive
Send packet to :
Ozaukee County Sheriff’s Office
1201 S Spring St
Port Washington WI 53074-0245
Remember to allow time for process in transit so our office can abide by the service time guidelines. (See above time requirements)