The oldest Lutheran church in
celebrate its 160th anniversary during October. As part of
this celebration, the church has made arrangements
for the use of a silver chalice that Martin Luther
gave to his sister as a wedding gift nearly five
centuries ago. The chalice will be used in
connection with the celebration Oct. 8-10.
40 Pomeranian German families bought more than 1,000 acres of land in the western part of
the Town of Mequon. This area was given the name Freistadt, which loosely translated means
"free city". These people came in search of religious freedom and held their
initial church service that same year. They then became the first German Lutheran church
in Wisconsin. The first church was a small log cabin. The present
stone church was built in 1884. The historical marker
was erected in 1959, the same year that the black and while photo was taken.