History
What's New!

Navigation

Belgium Cedarburg County Fredonia
Grafton Mequon Port Washington Saukville
Thiensville Area and State Obituaries  
The pages on this site will be rebuilt as time allows.  Sorry for this inconvenience
Hello and welcome to the history of Ozaukee County.  This originally started as the photo of the month with associated history to the photos which was done by County Clerk Harold C. Dobberpuhl.  If you would like to see that photo index please click here.  Currently the latest additions can be found at Cedarburg 1946-1964.   The navigation box above will get you quickly to articles for specific areas of our county.  If you have some photos or some articles that you would like to share, we would be happy to include them here (please click here for more information about submissions).  If you have any comments about this section please click the feedback button in the listing of links above.  Hope you enjoy your tour through the history of Ozaukee County.
Ozaukee County
Civil War Riot Commemoration - On the morning of November 11, 1862, attorney and draft commissioner
William A. Pors William A. Pors, an immigrant German Protestant and native American businessman of the county seat in Port Washington, began working on the draft.
Historic Photo Book - History comes alive in this first ever published photographic history collection from the Ozaukee County Historical Society Archives Research Center.
Courthouse Restoration Study Final Report - Link to a five part PDF document
County History  - This is a Power Point presentation, you can either start the slide show (bottom right button) and it will go through the slides ever 10 seconds or manually go through left index. (24 slides)
Welcome to the Past (Links to 2001 County Courthouse Centennial Jubilee and Time Capsule) - Celebration of the 100th anniversary of the old courthouse's construction.
County Board Chairpersons 1914 to Present
Overview of Ozaukee County - Ozaukee County is the smallest land area County in the State of Wisconsin, covering 235 square miles of land area. Rivers (see map), streams and creeks cover 1,566 acres.
Ozaukee County Historical Society - Latest news and events of Ozaukee County Historical Society
County Courthouse   - Ozaukee County was formed from Washington County in 1853 with Port Washington being chosen as the new county seat. Shortly thereafter, a two-story courthouse with ...
Interesting Highlights of the Early History of Ozaukee County When the white men first came to this land now known as Ozaukee County, they found the native Menomonee...
History of Ozaukee County by Don Silldorff - Other than one or two transient fur traders the only residents of Ozaukee County before 1835, were Potawatomi and Menominee Indians. 
Local Blues Music - From 1929 to 1932, Grafton’s studio was located in the Wisconsin Chair Factory. More than 1600 titles were recorded. Some of the blues recorded and pressed here include big blues legends Skip James, Charlie Patton, "Son House", Louise Johnson, King Solomon Hill, and Blind Joe Reynolds.
History lesson outdoors - Re-enactors promote interest in life during Revolutionary War
History of Washington & Ozaukee County (1881)  - For a period of seven years, from 1854 to 1861, the people of Ozaukee County, all past grievances being at an end, set about in earnest to advance their interests. Improvements of all kinds were begun and carried to completion...
History of Interurban Transit line and what it is today -  In 2002, the State of Wisconsin’s "Year of the Trail", Ozaukee County in partnership with eight local communities, is celebrating the grand opening of its new Ozaukee Interurban Trail.
My Living Legacy -  Provides an instructional interactive experience- How to easily video tape life and family histories from childhood to the present as well as provide a professional video production company to produce master your life history to DVD for you.
Ozaukee County Obituaries
County Brewed Beers  There was a time when almost every Ozaukee County community had at least one brewery.
County Breweries  Here's a list of former Ozaukee County breweries:
Better Roads Article - 1955 - OZAUKEE, the smallest of Wisconsin’s counties, is among the oldest, from the standpoint of recorded history. The first white men known to have seen it were ...
Some old mills have been ground down, but others are thriving as homes for shops...
Ozaukee County Courthouses According to the History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, the first courthouse was built in the Village of Port Washington in 1854.
Octagon Barns  This octagon shaped barn in the Town of Grafton is now owned by the Tetzlaff family, but is was erected by Ernest Clausing 100 years ago. It is believed that Clausing ...
Patriots Day 2002 - The President of the United States has declared Sept 11, 2002 as Patriots Day
Snow fun in Ozaukee County Ozaukee County has received a fare amount of snow so far this winter, but most of it has fallen at times that are not conducive to outdoor recreation. 
History of Bayside - The stone lion gates erected in 1911 at Lake Drive and Fairy Chasm Road which marked the original Donges and Usinger estates are reminders that Bayside was once an area of a few large...
Wisconsin tall ship sailed to Port Washington During the 19th century, schooners or tall ships were a common site as they haled freight and passengers to Port Washington and other ports on Lake Michigan.  Since it is now the 21st century, seeing a tall ship was a real treat...
Belgium

Luxembourg American Cultural Society The Luxembourg American Cultural Society Inc. (LACS) was founded in 2004 by individuals of Luxembourg descent in America as well as citizens...

A link to Luxembourg -A stone barn more than 130 years old, in disrepair and the last of its kind in Ozaukee County might get new life as a museum and Luxembourgian-American cultural center in Belgium.
Cedarburg
Arts put Cedarburg on the Map Ozaukee County art aficionados, jazz lovers and theater buffs agree: all roads seem to lead to Cedarburg.
Brewery History will be on tap when beer drinkers take their first sip next year in the Silver Creek Brewery along the banks of Cedar Creek.

Cedarburg 1946-1964 - The transformation of Cedarburg from a small country town into a growing suburban community is the central theme of this fascinating collection of 174 images created by local photographer Harold C. Dobberpuhl between the late 1940s and the mid-1960s

The Cedarburg Mill The Cedarburg Mill was built by Cedarburg founders Frederick Hilgen and William Schroeder in 1855 at a cost of $22,000 and was considered one of the finest mills in the ...
The Cedarburg Mill The Cedarburg Mill (previously the Hilgen & Schroeder Mill) was featured several months ago, but the view was from the corner of Columbia Road and Mequon Avenue,...
Cedarburg's Old Firehouse  The term "old" is used because this building was replaced by the present firehouse in November of 1964. This building was constructed in 1908 to replace the ...
Cedarburg's Rivoli theater On Wednesday, the 70-year-old Rivoli in downtown Cedarburg closed as a Marcus Theatres Corp. cinema.  The Rivoli, though, will reopen Dec. 29 with a new owner, the Cedarburg Landmark Preservation Society Inc.
Cedarburg Tree Lighting The holiday season starts in Cedarburg with the annual Tree Lighting. Here Santa is ready to be taken by carriage to the great Christmas tree where he transfers the light ...
Cedarburg Woolen Mill/Cedar Creek Settlement The Cedarburg Woolen Mill, which later became the Wittenberg Woolen Mill, was founded by Frederick Hilgen, who also was a partner ...
Christmas Past "Christmas Past" is a scene of downtown Cedarburg in 1956. The picture was originally published in the Cedarburg News. Next it was awarded first prize in the pictorial category...
Concordia Mill in Cedarburg - The Concordia Grist Mill was built in 1853 to replace a saw mill that had been built in New Dublin some years earlier. New Dublin and the area around Wauwatosa ...
Covered Bridge (History of the) More than 40 covered bridges once dotted the Wisconsin countryside. Today the sole survivor is the Cedarburg bridge, originally known as the "Red Bridge"...
Fire Department  - The Cedarburg Fire Department was organized by a group of Cedarburg pioneers.
Fireside Chats Old memories warmed up at Fireside Chats - Cedarburg residents gather to remember, share their love of history.  The last of this winter's chats will be held at 2:30 p.m. Jan. 14.
First Immanuel Lutheran Church The first record of the existence of a Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod congregation in Cedarburg is found in the minutes of a voter’s meeting held on May 22, 1853. 
Harold C. Dobberpuhl - Harold passed away today (April 12) at 1:30 am. Harold has been County Clerk since 1964, an avid photographer, for several years Harold has provided to this site the "Photo of the Month" which graced our front page every month.  Please check out the links below to find out more information about Harold C. Dobberpuhl.
Hamilton School -  Jeanie and George Rudich have bought the historic Hamilton School in the Town of Cedarburg and plan to turn it into a quilt shop. The Victory Lodge Free and Accepted Masons...
Hamilton Turnhalle The last remaining turner hall of its type in the United States, it served as a combination meeting place and gymnasium for members of the Hamilton "Turnverein" society...
Hilgen-Wittenberg Dam -  Some time ago, the Waubeka Dam was featured on the County Web Site and it was indicated that other County Dams would be featured over time.
Japanese Tea House The featured building this month is the one with the red roof. It portrays architecture that is no comparison with the adjacent old stone Hilgen and Schroeder mill that that ...
Milwaukee Northern Interurban had start in Cedarburg   ONE OF THREE FOUNDERS BECAME OZAUKEE COUNTY JUDGE - The Milwaukee Northern Railway was incorporated in Ozaukee County on October 25, 1905.One of the founders was John E. Uselding of Port Washington, ...
St Francis Church The hill on the south end of the downtown business area in Cedarburg is not as high as the bluff at the north end of the downtown business area in Port Washington, but both ...
Street Clocks & Awnings The current Armbruster Jewelry store in Cedarburg was built in 1907. The building, inside and outside, still looks about the same as when it was built. 
Stone & Century House Tour - The six homes featured on the Cedarburg Cultural Center’s 36th Annual Stone & Century House Tour run the gamut from a quaint clapboard townhouse to an elegant country estate. Running the weekend of June 4 & 5, 2005
Fredonia
Bernard J. Cigrand (from the French “CiGrand” meaning “so great”) was born on Yankee Hill in Waubeka, Wisconsin on October 1, 1866.
Demolition of Waubeka Dam Photos of three days of the demolition of the Waubeka Dam.
National Flag Day Foundation - The “Stars and Stripes”, the official National symbol of the United States of America was authorized by congress on that Saturday of June 14, 1777 in the fifth item of the days agenda.
Flag Day 2004A renewed sense of patriotism seemed to grip many of the roughly 8,000 people who attended Flag Day ceremonies in Waubeka Sunday afternoon.
Flag Day 2002 More than 10,000 people from Wisconsin and beyond are expected to honor Old Glory this Sunday in Waubeka.
Paulus Family Farm Through-out Ozaukee County, a tour of the various back-roads reveals that most farms have one or two or three or four silos. The Paulus family farm has seven silos. 
Stoney Hill Schoolhouse (Flag Day) - Over three quarters of a century ago, a 19 year old, $40 a month school-teacher, stirred by a deep love of the American Flag, held the first Flag Day exercises... 
Waubeka Dam saved from Demolition Waubeka area residents have been successful in at least postponing demolition (technically breaching) of their dam on the Milwaukee River.
Waubeka Volunteer Fire Department - Back in the days of the hand pumper, after several disastrous fires in the area the citizens of Waubeka and the surrounding community bought their first fire...
Grafton 
The EST Story  started in 1946 when a couple of energetic young men and four employees began a part-time venture making screwdrivers in a farm shed. 
Grafton Woolen Mill A woolen mill was built in Cedarburg in 1865 by Frederick Hilgen, Dietrich Wittenberg and Joseph Trottman. In 1872, the mill operation was incorporated as the Cedarburg ...
St. John's Lutheran Church in Lakefield  St. John's Church was organized in 1866, When the property was purchased, there was a building on the site that housed a tavern (one with a slight ...
Lime Kilns These structures are now a part of Lime Kiln Park in Grafton. The park area was once part of a limestone quarry operated by the Milwaukee Falls Lime Company, which was incorporated ...
Origin Of Port “ULAO” Port Ulao in Ozaukee County is an abandoned place with many roots in the historical past. James T. Gifford came here in 1847 to build a lake port on the site of what had been ...
Paramounts Home Welcome from GRAFTON WISCONSIN, home of Paramount Records (a division of the New York Recording Laboratories). Link to site.
Mequon
Port Washington Road  (County Highway W north of Mequon Road looking South). In 1952 or 1953, at about 8:00 A.M. there was no traffic to speak of.
Restored home highlights Yankee heritage One of first dwellings in Mequon built on one-time Indian trail
Area History  Today, the Milwaukee River meanders through Mequon, touching Thiensville and forming its southern limits. Early in the area's history, the river was the highway on which the...
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church - Freistadt The oldest Lutheran church in Wisconsin will celebrate its 160th anniversary during October. As part of this celebration, the church ...
Yankee Settlers Cottage - 1839  The early settlers who came to the Mequon area in the 1830's were Yankees from New York state and English, followed by Germans and Irish. 
Port Washington 
Historical Society was founded in 1991. The society exists as an educational organization that is dedicated to the preservation, advancement, and dissemination of knowledge of the history of the Port Washington area.
Historic Walking Tours Both the City Center Tour and the Old Town Port Tour begin appropriately at the lakefront, which is the cornerstone of the city.
Friedens Evangelical Church Friedens Evangelical Church, founded in 1854, has a long and interesting history.
The Eagle Still Flies ...Because a crane was needed to paint the tower area, it was suggested that the eagle on the top of the tower also be repainted...
Judge Eghart House - Originally, the property was owned by Byron and Clara Teed, who built the house in 1872. Judge Leopold Eghart bought the house and property in 1881 moving his family from Cedarburg to Port Washington.
Library By 1908, the basement of the Courthouse provided much needed space.  Six hundred borrowers frequented the public library in 1912; 294 children.
Lighthouse Lighthouses are fascinating structures and they become more fascinating when they are easily assessable. The Port Washington lighthouse is one that is easily assessable, but it does ...
Light Station - When Georges Calteaux promised two years ago that he would ask the grand duchy of Luxembourg to replace the tower and light at the Port Washington Light Station, the members of the Port Washington Historical Society started scrambling.
Light Station [Historic Beacon getting new life] For years, the small brick building perched on top of a hill was Port Washington's most visible landmark. The light from its tower helped sailors and fishermen plot their course along Lake Michigan.
The Lights of Port Washington Fourteen years after the founding of Port Washington our first lighthouse was built (1849). It stood atop the north bluff ("St. Mary’s Hill"), approximately in the ...
Old Firehouse  This one-story Fire Engine House was built in 1928 on the same site as the previous wood frame engine house, which it replaced. The designer of this Mediterranean Revival style...
Proclamation - Whereas, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg has gifted the City of Port Washington with the Watch Room, Parapet and Rail, and Lantern Room now atop the Light Station in tribute...
The Port Hotel - The city of Port Washington (formerly Washington City of Washington County) has a long history of fine hotels.  The Port Hotel finds its roots dating back to the very beginning of our city when Martin F. Thomas and his wife Nancy purchased the land tract for $40.00
Smith Bros. Fish Shanty Commercial fishing once was an important business in Port Washington. There were five such operations. Each had a fishing shack and a boat.  Also see
City of Port Washington Historical Survey  This report documents an intensive architectural/historical survey of all resources located within an area that corresponds to  ... 
A historical Pictorial of Downtown Port Washington
St Mary's Church  Franklin Street in downtown Port Washington has several buildings with interesting features, but the highlight of this street scene is St. Mary's Catholic Church, which ...
Second call of Selectmen of Ozaukee County  "It is just a delightful little look at Port Washington, circa 1917."
Wisconsin Street School  None of the buildings built in the nineteenth century as public schools by the Village and later by the City of Port Washington now survive. The first public school that served ...
Saukville
History of Village Village of Saukville sprang up at a point where the principal north/south Indian trail in Wisconsin crossed the Milwaukee River. Prior to the 1830's the Menomonee Indians inhabited this area.
Saukville Historical Society  - Dedicated to preserving, recording and maintaining the historical information and antiquities of the Saukville Area, The Society promotes the awareness of the area's historical culture to develop an understanding of and pride in our past, and to recognize its importance in our future.]
Pioneer Village Pioneer Village is a living history museum located at 4880 Highway I in the Town of Saukville. The village contains 20 restored and authentically furnished houses, barns ...
Cedarburg Railroad Depot The Milwaukee & Northern Railway, which became a part of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific system, built a railroad from Milwaukee to Cedarburg. ...
Pioneer days: Restoration efforts proceed - The biggest single project is the continuing restoration of the Interurban Depot in Cedarburg, but most of the action will be at Pioneer Village, on Highway I in the Town of Saukville, just north of Hawthorne Hills County Golf Course.
Steel Truss Bridge Annexations have moved the east limits of the Village of Saukville a great distance from this bridge, but the bridge still serves as the gateway to "downtown" Saukville ...
Thiensville
Thiensville Village Hall & F.D. Engraved in the stone work above the two front windows of this rather strange looking structure in downtown Thiensville are the words "Thiensville Village Hall & F.D.". 
 Area and State
New Past Press - Explore the history of Wisconsin at the New Past Press.
Ozaukee County  Economic Development Corporation A group of concerned Ozaukee County leaders met  to discus the economy of Ozaukee County.
Washington County Local History Web  Dedicated to documenting the history and telling the cultural and family stories of the area...
Wisconsin Genealogy at its best The Wisconsin Territory was organized in 1836 from land formerly belonging to Michigan Territory. Its neighboring states include Minnesota and Iowa to the...
State Historical Society of Wisconsin  "We help make the past live for citizens of Wisconsin and elsewhere because knowing the past is crucial to understanding the present and preparing for the future."
History of the U.S. Mint  In the more than 200 years since Congress created the United States Mint on April 2, 1792, the Mint has grown to a Fortune 500-sized manufacturing and international ...
Founding Fathers Information - offers a smorgasbord of links to historical documents as well as links to guotations, pictures, and FAQ's about the United States' founding fathers.
History of United States Automobile
Library of Congress (Today in History)

Click Here to Return to Main Index

Link to Site Map

121 W Main St P.O. Box 994 - Port Washington WI 53074 - General Phone 262-284-9411
General Hours of operation 8:30 to 5:00
-
Contact Us